Friday, February 8, 2013

Bad Dream

I felt my shirt clinging to my damp chest as my eyelids fluttered open. My heart was racing, and I could feel the blood pumping all the way down through my toes. I was careful not to wake Pony as I crawled out of bed and made my way to the living room couch. Today marked two years since the accident, since mom and dad died, since I dropped out and started working full time, since Darry was claimed as my legal guardian.
I began flipping through the family albums, studying pictures from birthday parties, Christmases, family vacations. Life was simpler back then, back when someone told you what time to be home by, told you you couldn't go out with friends, most kids my age would disagree with me, they long for freedom from their parents, but to be under the influence of my parents again was all I wanted. They told me what I could do and when to do it, now all my decisions were reflected only upon myself, and I wasn't yet ready to be the supreme authority of my own being. People my age shouldn't have to make the decisions I've made, I was forced to learn too early how to take care of myself, when in reality, I still wanted someone to take care of me.
"Bad dream?" I looked up to see Pony emerging from the hallway.
"Always." I said.
I had the same dream this time every year. The accident replays over and over in my head, eventually stealing me from sleep. Pony plopped down on the couch beside me, laying his head in my lap.
"How do you think it'd be.....ya know, of they were still here?" he asked.
"I dunno," contemplating his thought, that I secretly thought so often. "just like it was before I guess."
"You mean without Darry being an ass?" he replied.
We laughed a bit, "He's not an ass Pony.....he's just got more worries than he used to."
Pony sat up, "yeah yeah, that's what you always say."
"Think about it like this, would you be ready to be a dad to your three younger siblings at nineteen years old?" I asked.
Pony thought a minute, staring at the floor. "I guess not......especially not to you." he playfully shoved me.
"Pssht, I'm the easy one kid." I said.  
"Well I'm going back to bed." Pony said, "You commin?"
"Yeah." And then I closed the album and tucked it neatly back in it's place.

13 comments:

  1. So, we're back to the nightmares huh? You're such a girl, Soda. No wonder you still sleep with Pony. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, it's okay Soda. Just make sure you know who you're climbing in bed with. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soda we all miss them. Mr and Mrs. Curtis were two of the very best people

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kit, you are so kind to your brother ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a saint with my brother. But that doesn't mean what I said ain't true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well my dear sister, There were only 3 beds in the house, and I sure as hell didn't wanna share with Darry, and for some reason it's weird inappropriate that you and Pony share...so I didn't really have much choice did I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could've chosen the couch. Like normal people do. And it is only weird and inappropriate when you make it out to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're lucky you've got Pony to be there for you. But hey, it's gonna be okay, Soda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Or Kitty could share a bed with me ;)
    Then everyone could have their own bed. I know Kitty wouldn't regret her decision. So whadaya say Kitty Kat, wanna come play?

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha Soda you coulda just made your kid brother sleep with Darry

    ReplyDelete
  11. yea i agree with dal for once. i feel like that would b the most normal sleeping arangementt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like this conversation is taking an interest twist my dear Owen. Sure, why not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwwww dont worry soda my sisters say the same thing to me

    ReplyDelete