Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Let's Get Ready to Rumble

   We spent the last three days gearing up for the rumble. We made a lot of calls, sent a billion texts, and had a dozen meetings in person with other greaser gangs, but the numbers just weren't turning up. We never really know how many socs will make an appearance, but when they hear there's a rumble, typically they all come running. The Socs fight us for fun, because they take any chance they're given to show that they're better than us. Greasers, on the other hand, we fight because it's personal. So far, the only gangs who agreed to show up were Shepard's and the Brumley's.
     "The Brumley's backed out." Darry said, taking another swig on his beer. We decided to have a laid back night at the Dingo the night before the rumble.
     "Dammit. Are you serious?" I asked quietly, not wanting to down everyone's spirits.
     "Yep. They're down three guys as of this morning when one of em got busted for car theft." He explained further.
     "That leaves our nine guys, and Shepard's eleven...Do you think that's enough?" I asked. Darry shook his head.
     "Looks like the girls are gonna have to fight in this one."
We only let the girls fight if they have to, not because they aren't capable of kicking some decent ass, but because we're guys, we step up first and protect them when we can. It also makes us a bit nervous, despite the fact that the girls can handle themselves, we're always looking out for our sister or girlfriends in the midst of the fight. Owen spun around in his bar chair. He had apparently been eavesdropping on our conversation.
     "Don't worry, I got it covered." He patted Darry on the back.
 
   Friday. The day of the rumble. My phone was blowing up all day with questions and comments from almost everyone in the gang, leaving Steve and I very eager to get off work.
   I came home to find everyone, plus Shepard's gang at our house. People were doing flips, practicing swings, stretching, and downing energy drinks. I looked around, worried about our numbers, and hope that Owen really would pull through. Typically, I would be pumped for a rumble, but this time was different. The circumstance in which we were fighting, left a dark cloud of emotion hovering over everyone, we shouldn't have to be fighting for this reason. I was a bit relieved when I found out Jelly was only on the sidelines of their encounter with Sheldon, but I still felt deeply for Rhyan and Blair, no one should have to experience something like that. I think secretly everyone blamed themselves for what happened. If only I had been there...If only I had done this differently...What happened, happened, and nothing could change that now. Could it in some way been prevented? Possibly, just like everything else that happens, but truth was, is this rumble really going to change anything? Someone wins, we leave each other alone for a month or two, and then were back to giving each other hell again. What was going to make this time any different?
   I thought I had downed too many red bulls when I felt the house begin to shake, as a roaring sound filled the neighborhood.
     "What the hell is that?" I heard Darry say.
     "I said I had it covered." Owen smirked, then headed outside, the gang filing one by one after him. There was a group of about six or seven guys perched on top of motorcycles outside our house. From what I knew about Owen, I figured these guys were a part of the Sons of Anarchy. Darry filled them in on our situation and how we do things here in Tulsa, just before heading off to the vacant lot.
   There they were, all the socs lined up shoulder to shoulder as we all stepped up to face an opponent. It felt like forever till the rumble finally started. I knew it was only a matter of time till Dal socked Sheldon a good on in the face, and then it was on. I tried my best to stay close to Jelly and keep an eye on her, but she seemed to be doing better than I was. I made it out with a broken pinky, and a gash along my right cheek, plus the countless scrapes and bruises scattered on my body. It ended with us standing there watching the socs run away in their mud stained pussy khakis, and then the shouts of victory erupted. We all ended up at the Thatcher house for a victory party consisting of loud music, booze, food, and swimming.
     "Someone got you pretty good there babe." I said, gently pressing my fingers on Jelly's swelling temple.
     "You should've seen the other guy." She smirked, then pressed her lips softly against mine.
     "I'm going to go get a drink." She said before turning and leaving. I went over and stood by Steve, and glanced around the yard. Hunter was lingering in the shadows of the party all night, which was usually his type of scene. He approached me, chewing nervously on his fingernails.
     "Hey man, I gotta tell you something." I looked at him intrigued.
     "What's up?"
     "The other night I was at a crack house on the outskirts of town, and I got carried away and was pretty stoned, and I didn't even remember passing out, and when I woke up...man, I'm really sorry." He was rambling, and I really didn't understand what connection I had to his experience at a crack house.
     "I slept with Jelly." he confessed. My heart stopped, and I suddenly forgot how to breathe, as hot tears filled my eyes.
     That's okay." A drunk Steve spoke up beside me, loud enough for everyone to hear, "Soda and Dawn are fuck buddies." Everyone paused and turned their heads our way. Hunter cocked his head to the side.
     "You slept with my sister?" He said.
      Steve, who was beyond caring, yelled again, "I slept with Kitty!" Everyone glanced in Kit's direction.
     "That did not happen." She assured.
Hunter stared at me, eyes blazing. "We're even." He said, before stomping off somewhere. I looked over and found Jelly standing there, watching the whole scene.
     "You slept with Hunter?" Though I already knew the answer, I wanted her to confirm it.
     "Soda...I.." I cut her off,
     "How could you?" I yelled.
     "You never told me you slept with Dawn." She yelled back.
     "Not while we were dating." I argued.
     "I didn't know what I was doing..."
     "The one person that I thought.." My voice caught. Tears were streaming down my face. "I can't do this again." I turned and heading inside the house to find a place to hide from the crowd. Steve chased after me,
     "Soda, wait up man.." I turned abruptly, using a harsh tone, "Go home Steve." I said.
I couldn't believe that this was happening. I had been cheated on, again. Jelly and I have been friends since we were little, good friends. She was there when I found out Sandy was cheating on me, she even talked some since into me when I said I wanted to marry the girl anyways, regardless if the baby was mine or not. Here I was again, suffering the same pain. And she had done it with someone in the gang...someone I had considered a brother. I couldn't take this again, from now on, I was sure I'd never trust anybody.      

5 comments:

  1. Do you think if we called MTV we'd be able to get a deal for a reality show? We have enough excitement

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh that was some good jaw bustin fun. but dam man I hope u and jelly work that shit out..

    ReplyDelete
  3. On A Happier Note,I Didn't Get Knocked Out This Time Guys! Yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you and I might have a little more in common that what you thought. It's time to take a page from my book, and forget about her. You can't trust women.

    ReplyDelete