Thursday, June 6, 2013

No Strings Attached

     Steve dragged me to Buck's last weekend, dying to get me out of the house since things went downhill. I sat at the bar and downed a Pepsi before spotting a familiar face.
   "Hey Blair. Is that your mercury out front? Where the hell did you get that sweet thing?" I asked, jamming my thumb in that general direction.
  She spun around in the bar chair, "Yeah, and for christ's sake it's Kayleigh."
   I ran my hand through my hair, "Right. This again..."
None of us understood the whole name thing going on with Blair. Maybe it's just a phase, or maybe she hates her life so much she's trying to convince herself of a new one, I don't know, but whatever it is, the gang is starting to worry.
     I bought her a drink and found myself with another Pepsi. Blair always had this dark sexy thing going for her, but we all saw her as one of the 'babies' of the gang. Before I knew it the flirting came out, and I found myself twirling her hair in my fingers. Blair wasn't one to commit to me, not like this, but she said she wasn't Blair, and I wasn't looking for that type of relationship anyway. No strings attached, that's exactly how I wanted it. I have no idea what came over me, but the next next thing I know I'm tossing about naked in my bed with TwoBit's kid sister.
     I awoke the next morning and threw my jeans on because I was already late for work. Blair didn't even bother getting dressed before heading to the bathroom. I opened the door to find half the gang sitting in the living room, staring in bewilderment. After wrestling TwoBit, I finally escaped to the truck and headed off to work. The usual crowd of girls showed up. Once Jelly was out of the picture, they all started appearing at the DX again watching me work. One blonde girl, who wore jean shorts so tight you could put a quarter in her pocket and tell if it's heads or tails, approached me, taking my hand and scribbling upon it with a pen.
     She leaned in and whispered, "Don't hesitate to call late." Then winked at me before leaving.
Normally I'd take an offer like this and pass it on to Owen or Dal, but this was the type of fling I wanted, one that wasn't a relationship at all. Having relations with someone meant you were somewhat close to them, but I didn't want to be close to anybody, because the closer you are the more painful it becomes, so I typed the number into my phone, sure I would use it later.

5 comments: